Although I've had this blog for two years, I never did get around to developing a 12-step program for stamp- & scrap-aholics. But a recent thread on the Hero Arts Flickr Group finally made me stop shirking my responsibilities and just Do It.
12-Step Program for Stamp- & Scrap-aholics
- Admit that you are powerless to resist the temptation of rubbah and are in need of an ink exorcism.
- Do not visit the LSS without a legal guardian handcuffed to your wallet arm.
- Conduct a fearless inventory of your stamp collection.
- Conduct a fearless inventory of your stamp collection (and no lying this time).
- Start running sprints until you can do the 100-yard dash in less than 60 seconds.
- Divulge to your spouse the exact number of stamps in your possession and how much you spent on them.
- Run. (See Step 5.)
- Administer CPR to spouse and remind him that He Owes You now that you've saved his life.
- Reduce stamp inventory by 40% via online sale or give to a friend, thereby ensuring you can still use them but no longer have the responsibility for them. (This is called Destroying The Evidence, and if you do this after Step 4, you may be able to avoid Steps 5 - 9).
- Admire your newly gained space.
- Reward yourself for your bravery and self-sacrifice. (Temporarily ignore Step 2.)
- Carry this message to other stamp-alcoholics and practice these principles henceforth.